We live in an Application driven IT world. Whether its our Cloud-based phone apps, our computer apps, or the applications in our servers and hosted datacentres, everything is moving towards applications that will improve our productivity. Technical complexity is increasing rapidly and we are consuming more applications than ever before.
I have come to understand the value of application packaging. Initially, I thought it was simply creating an automated process of imaging applications to be delivered. However, I have to come to realize that its a lot more than that. Application packaging:
- Allows one to conform to standards despite their edition and version.
- Provides the ability to test applications before moving to production.
- Delivers the same application, yet tailored to specific needs or departments.
- Provides process and characteristic documentation without having to spend hours writing and collecting screen shots.
- Enables a licensing person, through the process, to control and manage assets (Software Asset Management (SAM)).
For this reason it is now part of what I envision to provide my clients. That vision is to deliver a robust strategy that not only takes care of SAM inventory and reconciliation, but also goes to the root and applies application packaging best practices.
Ask me how: @mslicensing, @amtrasolutiuons